How to say no when another team wants to borrow your engineer
A no that covers the person and the pattern, the three ways a friendly peer re-asks, and the offer that keeps your roadmap intact — a prep card.
The loan request never arrives as a loan request. It arrives as a favour between friends, already shrunk to a size that makes refusing look petty. Two weeks. She’ll be back before anyone notices. He’ll owe you one.
This guide is the shape of the conversation where the answer stays no and the friendship survives it: what to decide before he sits down, the first sentence, the three ways a peer director re-asks, and the point where you stop.
Why this one is hard
Tom runs Platform, his migration is behind, and he wants your strongest engineer for two weeks. You like him. His team keeps your services running. And the last time you lent someone to his team, two weeks became nine and ended with a transfer request on your desk.
So you’re not refusing a fortnight. You’re refusing a pattern, to a peer who’d never describe it that way. The hard part is that every argument he makes is reasonable on its own. Only the history makes it unreasonable, and bringing up history to a friend feels like an accusation.
Before you walk in
Decide four things, and write them down.
The no covers the person and the pattern. “Not her, not this quarter” is one no. “Not her, and not a loan of anyone until we’ve agreed how loans end” is the one you need. If you only decline this request, he’ll be back next month with a smaller one.
The one piece of history you’ll use. Nine weeks, one transfer request. Say it once, calmly, as a fact about calendars rather than a fact about Tom. If you say it three times it becomes the argument, and he can argue with it.
The alternative that costs you nothing you can’t spend. Code reviews from her. An architecture day each week. A named second engineer for a fixed, short window. Pick one you can actually afford, because you’ll be held to it.
Your walk-away point. The line is a transfer of a body to his team, for any duration. Below that, trade freely. The moment the conversation is about which week she goes, you’ve lost it.
Your opening line
Say no before he finishes the pitch. Not rudely, just early. The longer he talks, the more it sounds like you’re considering it.
Tom, the answer on her is no, and I want to say that before you’ve spent your pitch. Last time a two-week loan ran nine and ended in a transfer request. I can’t run that again. What I can do is code reviews and a weekly architecture day from her, starting Monday.
No, the reason, the alternative, in that order. He has something to take back to his team before he’s had to argue.
The version to avoid:
I’d really love to help, and she’d be great for it, it’s just that timing-wise things are a bit tight on our side right now…
You’ve told him she’s the right person and the only obstacle is timing, so he’ll offer to fix the timing.
The three pushbacks you’ll hear
“Okay, not two weeks. One week. Three days, even, just for the cutover.”
The warm re-ask. He’s not arguing with your no; he’s shrinking the request until it’s too small to refuse. Each size you consider makes the next one harder to decline.
It isn’t the length. Three days on your cutover is three days off our release, and a short loan is how last time started. The architecture day’s real, though. Shall we pick one?
Keeps the no whole and steers back to the thing you can give.
“The VPs are expecting this to go through. You’re making it awkward for both of us.”
Social pressure, nothing more concrete yet. He’s suggesting the decision has already been made above you, without saying who made it or when.
If a VP wants to move headcount between us, that’s a conversation I’ll happily have with them. Between us, the answer’s still no, and the offer’s still reviews and a day a week.
You’ve separated what you control from what you don’t, and declined to be moved by a room you’re not in.
“I’ve already told my VP it’s agreed. Don’t make me walk that back.”
Here’s what was underneath the fortnight. He has committed upstream before asking you, and he’s asking you to honour a deal you were never part of. It isn’t yours to solve.
I understand that puts you in a spot, and I’m sorry you’re in it. I didn’t agree it, so I can’t be the one who makes it true. Tell your VP you’ve got reviews and an architecture day from us, which is more than most teams would give. I’ll back that up in writing.
Respects the pressure he’s under without adopting it as yours.
Where you stop
If you have a fixed alternative with no transfer of a body, you’re done. The good ending sounds like him saying: “Reviews and an architecture day each week, no one moves teams. I’ll sell that upstairs somehow.” Thank him, and confirm it in writing before lunch.
A conversation that goes well is also where he tells you the real thing: he said yes to his VP before he’d asked you, and walking it back with nothing makes him look like he can’t deliver. It tells you the loan was never really about her, so let him keep face: the written offer is what he carries upstairs.
If he’s still circling, say this once:
I’d rather give you a no you can plan around than a maybe that turns into nine weeks again.
If his answer is “Then it goes through the VPs, and neither of us controls what comes back,” stop. That’s not a threat you can argue with, it’s a process, and it may well happen. Don’t trade her to avoid it. Let it escalate with your offer on the record and your reasons in one calm email.
Afterwards
Send the summary the same day, to Tom and copying both your managers: the no, the one line of history, and exactly what you’ve offered, with dates. If this does go upstairs, you want the first document they read to be yours, and you want it to be generous.
Then the habit: write down how every loan from your team ends, start date and actual return date, in one place. Next time someone asks for a fortnight, you’ll have the number instead of a feeling.